Managing and leading people is tactic which defines that human resource responsibility is to provide duties and tasks to members in respect to their capabilities. Recruitment, selection, compensation, training and development are practices conducted by employer. This help organization to have adequate manpower which are competent to perform tasks in proficient manner. Meeting and conference are various activities conducted by management; to give appropriate instruction and guidance to subordinates (Mayer and Surtee, 2015). Seniors are able to execute business operations effectively and deliver adequate items and services in market in respect to needs and demands of people. Present report is based on Marks and Spencer which is popular retail store established in United Kingdom and many other nations. Variety of food items, designer clothes, beauty products and many other things are provided by company. Motivation and engaging people is concept which is chosen for this assignment. Monetary and non-monetary benefits such as promotion, salary, achievement, reward and many other things are provided to increase morale of employees. Different motivation models that are used by superior to anticipate requirements of staff; thereby give them appropriate facilities and components. Manager and leader both supports employer to retain skilled people for longer period.
Motivating and engaging employees
Motivating and engaging is one of process which is conducted by administration to make subordinates dedicated and feel connected with firm. Human resource responsibility is to acknowledge tactics which are main reason of employees to function effectively. Staff require to get tasks in according to their skills and knowledge, so that they are able to perform activities properly. Performance appraisal tools are used by superior which defines that actual outcomes are compared with benchmarks to anticipate abilities of subordinates. This benefits leader to conduct sessions and seminars to improve capabilities of members; thereby enhance productivity and profitability (Mumford, Medeiros and Partlow, 2012).
Motivationis best tactic which define that human resource provide intrinsic and extrinsic benefits to subordinates to increase their morale and make them dedicated towards job. Salary, promotion, reward, achievement and various other incentive are given by management to employees in respect to their performance and outcomes. By recognizing work and efforts of members, seniors make them perform tasks in proficient manner and complete targets within defined time.
Employee engagementis concept which determine that management established connection with subordinates to retain skilled and competent people for longer period. HR provide inspiration, enjoyment and pride to members to make them feel connected and important part of organization (Pal, 2013).
These are various steps which help management to motivate staff by engaging them in business activities are stated beneath:
- Clearly define vision : Employer provide accurate and complete information to subordinates about vision, mission and objectives. This help S to direct members and give them appropriate knowledge about targets required to be achieved by them.
- Provide employees things they want and need :Management should interact with each member to anticipate their demands and provide them appropriate benefits such as salary and incentives.
- Communicate well and often : Meeting and conference are conducted by supervisors to provide adequate information to employees about system functionality and market conditions. Along this, seniors even take their opinion and suggestions to make changes in tools and techniques accordingly.
- Engage everyone : Administration involve subordinates in decision making and planning activities to frame appropriate strategies and program. This help seniors to make employees feel connected and valuable part in firm. Along this, best techniques and judgement which are beneficial for S to make appropriate position and image in market (Postel and Richter, 2012).
- Coach for success : Management provide instruction and guidance to subordinates in respect to duties and tasks assigned. This help S to make employees perform activities in proficient manner; thereby deliver adequate items and services to customers. Positive and negative feedback both are given to members in respect to their work and outcomes to motivate them and correct if there is deviations from standards.
- Act fairly, respect subordinates : Human resource prime responsibility is to give equal treatment and opportunities to staff in according to their skills and abilities. They need to take care that members are not discriminated on grounds of region, caste, nationality, gender, colour and various other background.
- Trust and make work fun : Management of S belief on capabilities of staff and provide them duties and tasks which require to be accomplished within defined time.
- Give special attention to high potential staff : Performance appraisal is technique which help leader to compare benchmarks with actual outcomes. This benefits line manager to have complete information about abilities of subordinates; thereby give benefits to high potential members (Bauer and et. al., 2014).
- Be creative to avoid downsizing : Human resource involve staff in decision making and planning activities which help S to make system function effectively. Members are given importance and realize them that they are valuable part of organization. Hence, workers perform tasks in unique and innovative manner.
- Execute incentive programs : Management of S provide compensation to subordinates in according to their performance and outcomes. This benefit them to increase morale of staff and make them dedicated to execute activities effectively.
Advantages of engaged employees :
- Staff members will retain in S for longer time which help management to reduce labour turnover rate and absenteeism.
- Employees conduct tasks in proficient manner and are dedicated and motivated towards job.
- Organization strategies are constructed in such manner that employees are committed and passionate.
- Subordinates trust on seniors and S as company has high image and reputation in market.
- Management gives high energy and appropriate working environment and conditions to members to make them perform activities effectively.
- Administration is able to enhance profitability by providing adequate things to customers in respect to their demands and requirements (Bush and Middlewood, 2013).
Advantages of well motivated workforce :
- Improve productivity and profitability : In S, management conducts meeting and inform employees about system and increase their morale. Thus, members perform tasks efficiently and deliver quality things and quick services to clients which enhance market image in market.
- Better employee retention rate : Human resource provide adequate working environment and conditions to subordinates. This help S to retain skilled and competent people for longer time by giving them appropriate benefits such as promotion, reward and appraisal.
- Higher quality of product and service : Motivated staff perform activities in proficient manner and deliver appropriate items to people. S is famous store as it provides clothes in according to market trends and preferences of people.
- Training and recruitment cost gets reduced : Management of S is able to sustain staff which benefits them to utilise funds efficiently. Company have adequate members which saves time and efforts of seniors to conduct staffing activities. Along this, motivated staff perform tasks in creative and innovative manner. So, seniors need not organise sessions and seminars to improve capabilities of members (Davenport, Barth and Bean, 2012).
Different motivational models
Human resource of S require employee engagement so that business operations are executed properly. It is essential that subordinate get appropriate working environment and conditions to make them perform tasks effectively. Marks Spencer is the renown brand name in retail industry. It has more than 84939 employees worldwide which determine that management require to have adequate resources that is funds, material and manpower. This help administration to organize business activities and deliver variety of food items, clothes, beauty products and so on to people (Gibb, Haskins and Robertson, 2012).
Maslow's theory of motivation :
This is most influential and effective theory used by management to increase morale of members and make them perform activities effectively. This tactics defines thoughts that every human being (employee) have their hierarchical needs which revolves around safety needs, psychological needs, self actualization, esteem needs social needs. This theory is used by company to motivate subordinates by providing them appropriate facilities in according to their demands and requirements. Therefore, this is description of different stages of needs which inspire members are stated below:
Physiological needs : It is initial and basic need of employee which are required for their survival. In context to Marks Spencer, employer and leader focuses on fulfilling the basic needs of its employee. When the basic requirement of the employees are fulfilled they work freely feel motivated as they do not have worry about survival. Basic needs motivates the employee in very influential manner because every person is working for their basic needs only.
Safety needs : Security, laws, order, freedom from fear, and stability are various components of this aspect which individual require from life and with job. These are also included in the basic needs of the employee which are required to motivate the employees. Management and leader of Marks Spencer ensure that all required tool are available for the employees which will be convenient for them to work properly. It is the responsibility of the company to provide healthy comfortable work environment for the staff, when employees are comfortable in there office they work effectively (Hillson and Murray-Webster, 2017).
Social needs : This tactic includes friendship, trust, bond which motivate people and influence their work. After fulfilling the basic needs of the employees, important focus of employees is to establish relationship with family members, colleagues and administration. Human resource and leader of Marks Spencer concentrates on building interpersonal relationship with employees; thereby motivate them. This enhances the feeling of affection, belongingness. Thus, friendly relation plays important role in the motivation which leads to high loyalty from employees also increases their productivity effectively.
Esteem Needs : This need involves the employees own self respect, recognition, appreciation awards. They feel confident about them self when management provide them compensation and various incentives in respect to their performance and outcomes. After fulfilling basic social needs of the employees, management and leader of S motivate employees by giving awards to them for their work, appreciating them and realize them that they are highly important and required for firm (Hoch and Kozlowski, 2014).
Self actualization need : This is last stage of motivation which involves self desire to develop realize its own potential. In Marks Spencer, management and leader assign task to individual in according to their work. Promotion to higher post and increment are provided by seniors to motivate members by acknowledging their potential and appreciating their results.
McClellan Theory ( Need for power, affiliation and achievement
This theory is found in the year 1960 by McClellan which is built on the work of Maslow This theory describes the three motivators of human. He claimed that humans adopt, learn from their leading motivators all the time that is why it is also known as Learned Needs Theory. McClellan state that all have these three drivers of motivating as well as it is not depended on our age. These motivating drivers will dominant in their behaviour.
This theory of McClellan is very different from Alderferand Maslow, which concentrate on fulfilling previews requirement rather than developing needs. In this, the dominant leading motivator mainly depend on our experiences of life and culture. Marks and Spencer is using this three motivators are explained in detail below (Hoefling, 2012):
Illustration 1: McClelland Theory, 2018
Source: McClellan Theory, 2018)
Arequirement is to demonstrate as well as accomplish mastery. It relate to a individual requirement for high standards or control, mastering of skills and success. It is linked with a reach of their actions. Person look for advancement in job, attainment of challenging, achievement and goals.
This requirement is impact by intrinsic as well as extrinsic motivation. Low wants for accomplishment means that particular person have to decline the risk of failure and on other side high requirement for accomplishment means that they try to select optimal, important typical works due to that they need to get a chance to achieve their targets, but for that they have to work for it and have to develop by themselves (Inouye, Westendorp and Saczynski, 2014).
Marks and Spencer is providing training and teaching which will help in enhancing individual motivate for meeting set targets.
Employees are in need for relatedness, belonging and love. They require a strong friendships as well as wants to be with social group. Marks and Spencer are, it may be very less effective within leadership positions. In these conditions, people work together as well as search security within each other. It is a time when particular person want to be with them along with that others times they affiliation encourage can be decreased or increased. Peoples doesn't like higher uncertainty and risk (Reiman and Pietik& aumlinen, 2012).
Marks and Spencer have to control over their own work. Employees of companies are motivated by their leaders. Their is a strong requirement to lead as well as for success in their ideas along with that increase the personal prestige and status. In this theory, Marks and Spencer is giving higher power and need for affiliation to male managers will aid in running higher departments of productivity within sales that supervisors will get a higher require of affiliation.
It is necessary to say about differences within gender in require for power.Organization employees are having high requirement of powers to men. Mainly having a high political unrest, aggression, act in sexually exploitative way, drink much, and take part in in competitive sports as well.These kinds of persons prefer to work with largest multinational companies, influential professions and businesses.
Marks and Spencer is adopting this theories for motivating their employees and higher productivity within their organization. They provide powers to their employees so it will aid in enhancing their performance of work and its efficiency as well (Renz and Herman, 2016).
Relationship of leaders and its role with human resource
Human resource plays essential role in each and every organization. Recruitment, selection, compensation, training and development are activities that are performed to have adequate members which are skilled and perform tasks in proficient manner. Management of S provide duties and tasks to members in respect to their skills and abilities. Besides this, line manager is given responsibility to guide members and direct them to perform activities in proficient manner. As, it is a retail store which provides variety of food items, clothes, beauty products and many other things to people to purchase in respect to their demands and wants. This help seniors to enhance productivity and profitability by attracting large number of people.
Management responsibility is to frame adequate plan which comprises strategies, goals and objectives that are determined to design system and make it function properly. In S, staff are given duties and targets to be accomplished within defined time. Instruction and guidance is given by senior to members to make them perform activities properly. Performance appraisal is technique which benefits human resource to have complete knowledge about capabilities of subordinates. Thus, training and development program that is sessions and seminar are conducted to improve skills and make employees conduct tasks effectively (Sivapalan, Savenije and Bloumlschl, 2012).
Leader role in organization is to direct members and make them work in according to vision and mission statement formulated by administration. Friendly and healthy relationship is constructed with employees of S to make them carry out activities in team. Line manager of S shared values and motivate team members to make them perform tasks properly. They even are able to anticipate issues and conflicts faced by staff; thereby provide them appropriate solutions. This help firm to retain skilled and competent people for longer duration.
Benefits of line manager relations with employer : These are various advantages that employer relationship with superior have are as follows:
- Re- shape organization and system : Leader provides support to management to organize activities which help in attainment of goals and objectives. Changes in tools technologies are made by seniors of S to deliver quality items and quick services to people. Along this, latest products that is clothes, beauty and innovative food items are present in store. This benefit firm to attract large number of customers and make them purchase things in respect to their taste and preferences (Thompson and Gregory, 2012).
- Take appropriate decisions : Top personal involve superior and staff in decision making process, so that appropriate judgement and things are selected. It is essential that adequate variants of products which are of latest trends are available in S store. This helps company to attract large number of people; thereby enhance sales and profitability.
- Manage people : Administration gets help from line manager to make subordinates function in team and coordinate their work. In S instruction and guidance is given to members, so that they perform tasks effectively and provide appropriate things to customers. Seminars and conference are conducted to inform staff about tools and techniques that can be used to attract people and influence their purchase decision.
- Motivate and direct members : Leader provide guidance to subordinates and appropriate benefits that is promotion, reward and incentives. Performance and outcomes are criteria which determine compensation received by members. By giving importance to their work increase morale of staff; thereby make them conduct activities effectively.
- Coaching staff : Employees require proper guidance from line manager to execute activities in proficient manner and deliver appropriate things to people. S is retail store, employees are taught ways to communicate and persuade buyers; by providing them complete information about products, its features and other essential elements. Seminars and conference are organized by leader to provide appropriate data about past sales records and competitor's offering. Along this, interpersonal skills are provided to members to construct relations with customers and satisfy them (Yoder-Wise, 2014).
- Sustain brand : S provide different variety of food items, beauty things and latest trends clothes to customers in respect to their taste and preferences. This help management to improve market position and reputation in market. Along this, company is even able to grab attention of people from their competitor firms. Leader makes workers skilled and competent that they provide quality things and quick services to customers. This establishes competitive advantage of S in respect to its competitors.
- Retain staff : Leader of S establishes friendly relations with staff members which help them to anticipate issues and problems faced by them; thereby provide them appropriate solutions. This provides support to management to sustain competent members and make them perform tasks in proficient manner. This benefits management to utilize funds and safe leader time and efforts in conducting training and development programmer. Along this, they even need to conduct recruitment and selection processes.
- Lower risk of industrial disputes : Line manager coordinate team members and make them perform tasks with each other. They provide appropriate working environment and conditions to subordinates in respect to their demands. This helps management of S from happening of various situations such as strike, protest and demonstration. Leader establishes friendly relations with team members which help company to prevent from conducting any wrong activities for their rights (Jones, Hole and Zavaleta, 2012).
- Overlap work gets diminished : Line manager of S provide duties to team members and take care that resources are utilize properly. Management gives responsibility to them to utilize funds, material and manpower efficiently; thereby appropriate things and services are provided to customers. Get Online Assignment Help from Australian academic writersÂ
Therefore, these are various advantages that human resource have on system functionality of S. Employees are distributed in team and given tasks and duties in according to their capabilities. Besides this, leader gives support to members by giving appropriate instruction and guidance. Time to time data is convey to staff about competitor's offerings and demands of people. This helps top personal to make changes in system and deliver creative and innovative products to customers. This enhance reputation of S in respect to rival brands and improve profitability.
Limitation of line manager relations with employer: These are various problems and tactics which affects S functionality are stated beneath:
- Time consuming : Leader of S invest large amount of efforts and time to inform members and provide appropriate guidance and instruction in respect to tasks assigned by seniors. They may not communicate to management which influence their work, as their might be changes that are made by seniors to deliver things in respect to needs and wants of people. Large time of line manager is wasted to keep connection between top personals and lower members (Kapferer, 2017).
- Confusion :Â Human resource provide responsibilities and targets which require to be accomplished. It depends upon their interpretation that facts and data is acknowledged in which manner. Besides this, employees get duties from top personal and direction from line manager which conducts problem and misrepresentation's of things in different manner.
- Productivity lowers down : Employees execute tasks and deliver adequate items and services to customers, if they get appropriate instruction and direction from leader. S is retail store which provides different variety of food items, clothes and other things. Hence, if superior don't give adequate guidance and information to staff members about market conditions. This influence on their work and type of items delivered to clients (Kotter, 2012).
- Impact on image and reputation of firm in market :Â S require to have skilled and competent subordinates which provide quality items and quick services to people. Line manager skills and knowledge determine work of members and use of resources. If appropriate competitive advantage are not constructed than company will not be able to attract customers. This will affect goodwill and value of firm in respect to competitor firms.
- Conflicts between employer and workers : Subordinates require to get appropriate working environment and conditions in S store. If leader doesn't convey information correctly from top personals to lower people. This may creates problem and difficulties in relationship of management with staff (Lee, Hwang and Choi, 2012).
- Tension :Â Workers are given duties and targets by management which sometimes creates problem if their don't complete work within defined time. Competition is main difficulty which impacts on sales and profitability of S. For this, employees require to have adequate instruction and guidance from leader. Thus, if subordinates are not aware about current trends and demands of people; than they will not be able to attract people and influence their purchase decision.
Henceforth, these are negative impacts that line manager relations with human resource have on working of S. Leader skills and knowledge determine guidance and instruction that employees get in respect to tasks and targets assigned. Along this, if proper information of administration is not conveyed to subordinates which impacts on their work. Customers require to get appropriate data from workers about items, its features and other tactics. Thus, if members don't have adequate information to clients which affect on image and reputation of firm.
For More You may Visit :Impact of Digital Technologies in Transforming Business Activities-Unicorn Grocer
As per above report, it can be comprehended that managing and leading people is important tactic which helps management to organize business activities effectively. Staffing, compensation, training and development are activities conducted by employer to have adequate workforce. Management frame plan which includes vision, mission, goals and objectives which are used to design system and implement appropriate tools and techniques; so that business operations are executed effectively. Motivation tools that is promotion, salary, reward, appraisal, achievement and incentives are provided by human resource to subordinates in respect to their performance and outcomes. Besides this, line manager is given responsibility to manage staff and retain members. For this, leader establishes friendly relations with employees which help them to anticipate issues and conflicts faced; thereby provide adequate solutions. Line manager has direct relationship with human resource. Employees are given information which are provided by top personals in respect to tasks and targets required to be achieved by them. Subordinates are engaged and involved in decision making to make them feel connected and passionate towards job. Thus, quality items and services are provided to customers which improves images and reputation of firm in market.
- Bauer, U.E., and et. al., 2014. Prevention of chronic disease in the 21st century: elimination of the leading preventable causes of premature death and disability in the USA. The Lancet. 384(9937). pp.45-52.
- Bush, T. and Middlewood, D., 2013. Leading and managing people in education. Sage.
- Davenport, T. H., Barth, P. and Bean, R., 2012. How big data is different. MIT Sloan Management Review. 54(1). p.43.
- Gibb, A., Haskins, G. and Robertson, I., 2012. Leading the entrepreneurial university: Meeting the entrepreneurial development needs of higher education institutions. In Universities in change. (pp. 9-45). Springer, New York, NY.
- Hillson, D. and Murray-Webster, R., 2017. Understanding and managing risk attitude. Routledge.
- Hoch, J. E. and Kozlowski, S. W., 2014. Leading virtual teams: Hierarchical leadership, structural supports, and shared team leadership. Journal of applied psychology. 99(3). p.390.
- Hoefling, T., 2012. Working virtually: Managing people for successful virtual teams and organizations. Stylus Publishing, LLC.