The conference and banquet management industry in the UK has achieved the fastest growth and recognition of people in the market. The continuous rise in growth of the industry has also provided various business opportunities for enterprises in this sector and enables them to innovate products and services in the market. The present report is based on an analysis of various important events, conferences, and banqueting of organizations. Analysis of œService on a plate is a catering business enterprise which has its operations in different countries of UK. In addition to this, different factors which has provided an influence on the development of enterprise. Further, key strategic and operations issues are involved in the appropriate management of a given conference or banquet. At last, performance and quality review techniques used by the conference and other banqueting industries are discussed in this report.
1.1. Discuss the size and scope of the conference and banqueting industry in the UK.
The conference and banqueting industry is among the largest industries of UK. It is one of the fastest growing sectors of economy. This industry is divided into two groups i.e. Conference and Banqueting. The former industry serves for the officialsâ events and formal activities while the latter sector serves all informal events like weddings, celebration, family occasion or special events (Aldebi, Ali and Abdulhassan, 2017).
The sector has a huge size of operations and management. At present, 46000 hotels are engaged in this business. According to the statistics of year 2017, the industry as generated profit of around ÃÂ£42.5 billion per year. This sector is quite attractive to foreign clients and tourists to avail the benefits of this industry. It is one of the 4thlargest industries in terms of employment and revenue generation. It employs around 5 million employees on a full-time job on 127000 properties as part of infrastructure. The size of industry remains significant market to boost the economy of UK. Conference and banqueting industry is extremely diversified in terms of services provided by it.
The scope of this industry is quite big. It comprises of hotels, catering agencies, pubs, clubs, restaurants, and motels, etc. Many tourists and foreign clients visit UK. The famous city like London and its prime location is the main attraction of tourists across the world. There are around 1.3 million business events are held every year in UK. These events are attended by 85 million people every year. There are many hotels in UK to accommodate such large numbers of attendees and tourists.
Further, the size of this sector can be divided into small, middle and large ranged according to number of days meetings are held and participant who attend these conferences. The small size conferences are held for 1-3 days and consist of 400 participants. The medium-ranged conferences are continued for 2-5 days and have approx 800 participants. Whereas,large ranged meetings are held for 6-8 days and includes 3000-4000 participants. The origins of these meetings is international. The most popular kind of conference is small ranged. It is conducted on a large pace and whenever necessary.
Thus, Service on Plate has great scope of growth due to expansion and flourishing of conference and banquet industry.
1.2 Analyse factors that have influenced its development.
The factors which contributed in the development of Conference and banqueting industry in UK are:
- Accommodation Services:There are around 10000 event-managing companies in UK which provide services to diversified needs of visitors in United Kingdom. The industry provides different kinds of venues and location for conference and banqueting. Further, it provides diverse accommodation options to attendees and visitors which are in accordance to their needs and preferences.
- Catering and Food services: Large number of firms is engaged in catering business within UK that provides the highest standard of quality services to their clients. It meets the demands and needs of their consumers which help in growth of the conference and banqueting industry (Pantelidis, 2018).
- Availability of Conference rooms: There are large numbers of hotels which meets the demand of official space. These hotels provide upgraded rooms with all modern facilities like machines, integrated technologies and basic amenities along with this it provides package deal for food and beverages to attendees in the conference (Marais, Plessis and Saayman,2017).
- Geographic location:The attractive location of United Kingdom attracts a large number of tourists and foreign clients from all around the world.
There are certain external factors which affect on growth and development of conference and banqueting industry like,
- Economic Condition The economy of UK is strong and stable. This help in attracting a large number of foreign clients from all around the world. It plays a vital role as continued growth of economy would provide help in development of this sector (Li, Jin, and Shi, 2017.).
- Socio-cultural considerations: The UK has very rich historical events which are properly documented for the visitors. The rich history of UK and providing of first-hand experience of events of country influences decision of many corporate to host conferences and meetings in UK (Fast, de Boer, and Rowson, 2017).
- Technological factor: Development in technologies has provided sustainable growth in the conference and banqueting industry. Many corporate sectors want to match their conference companies to the high technological level. Thus, it is important for managers of event companies to meet the demands of their clients (Yadegaridehkordi, Nilashi, Nasir, M.H.N.B.M. and Ibrahim,2018).
The company should properly analyse these factors as they contribute in the development of the conference and banquet industry.
2.1 Critically assess the key strategic and operational issues involved in the effective management of conference or banquet.
There are many operational and administrative issues arrived in the effective management of Conference and banqueting industry. The administrative issues are:
- Pricing and Packaging:It is the most common form of practice done by conference companies in UK to provide package options like event planners, seminars and conferences. They create complications to the event planner as it becomes difficult for them to manage the cost. Further, it disrupts the event budget (Pantelidis, 2018).
- Discounting Initiatives: The discounts provided by the company would initially help firm to raise the sales of it services. However, high and consistence discounts can create burden on company and these strategic issues can become uncontrollable for an organisation in the long run. Further, these discounting initiatives can reduce the revenue generation of firm (Lee, Lee, Chua and Han, 2018).
- Space utilisation: It is important for manager of company to effectively utilise the space for conferences and business meetings that would help the manager to gain competitive advantage over other companies. It becomes difficult for managers on how to utilise the given space to meet the needs and demands of visitors.
The operational issues which are faced by the conference and banqueting industries are:
- Health and Safety at Work Act, 1974:This act was implied by UK with regard to the health and safety of employees at work. It was established in 1974. The act sets out general duties to employer towards their employees and members of the public. This act guides employers on how to avoid risk at work. This is important for a company to meet the expectations of employees. Further, it is the duty of the employer to train employees regarding the risk associated with their work.
- Hygiene regulation: This important aspectÂ in the conference and banqueting industry. This sector is required to maintain hygiene in terms of food and beverage services, conference room and at banquet halls. The company is responsible to maintain standards in foods and the safety of their visitors, clients, and foreign tourists (Strassheim, 2017).
- Licensing Lawimplications:Â These implications are the rules which control to whom, when, and where the alcohol should be served. This law covered a wide range of activities within it they are, public entertainment cinemas and night cafes, etc.
2.2.Discuss performance and quality review techniques used by the Conference and banqueting industry.
The success of this sector depends upon the performance and quality services provided by the company while managing the conference and banqueting services. To effectively evaluate the performance of the organization, it is required to evaluate its employees. In the conference and banqueting industry each and every employee is important and their performance would contribute to the success of the business. Thus, it is important for event companies to periodically evaluate the quality and performance of their employees. To accomplish this purpose firm can use the effective technique i.e. Program Evaluation and Review Technique (PERT).
The PERT is a management planning and control tool. This technique measures the performance of an individual on basis of cost and time relationships. This technique provides a network diagram with an initial point to a finishing point which is termed a path. The amount of time required to complete the activities in sequences along that path figures out the time required by an employee to complete their work. It is done by the project manager within the company. It provides further assistance in monitoring the activities, keeping track of them, and helping in solving complex issues of the company.
The company can use management techniques like Six Sigma to improvise the quality and performance of employees. Further, the company can review its performance on basis of;
- Client and guest evaluation procedures: In this procedure, the company evaluates its performance through the number of visitors and foreign clients attracted to the services of the firm. Further, it is evaluated by the arrangements made by the company the quality of its food, and the number of items that restaurants/hotel has to arrange for the event.
- Venue appraisal: The venue is an essential aspect and it creates an impact on the client and shows the performance of the company. To get an appraisal with regards to the venue means to provide proper dÃÂ©cor and necessary arrangements as per the requirement of the client.
- Profit realization: This method works effectively in evaluating the performance of the firm. Those organizations that generate maximum profits through it services are considered to be the best firms. The company can realize revenues only through improving the performance of its employees.
Attached in PPT
get similar online assignment help for your assignment help
Attached in PPT
- Aldebi, H., Ali, N.N.H. and Abdulhassan, S. H., 2017. Evaluating the Dimensions of Service Levels in Chain Hotels: From the Perspective of Top and Middle Management (An Empirical Study in Jordan). International Journal of Economics and Finance.9(12). p.32.
- Davis, B., Lockwood, A., Alcott, P. and Pantelidis, I. S., 2018.Food and beverage management. Routledge.
- Fast, J., de Boer, E. and Rowson, B., 2017. The influence of the importance of event factors on meeting planner satisfaction: A case study of a theme park event business.Research in Hospitality Management.7(1). pp.27-38.
- Lee, S., Lee, K. S., Chua, B. L. and Han, H., 2018. Hotel restaurantsâ challenges and critical success factors in Klang Valley, Malaysia: the inseparable roles of support centers and revenue streams.Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality & Tourism.pp.1-28.
- Li, K. X., Jin, M. and Shi, W., 2017. Tourism as an important impetus to promoting economic growth: A critical review.Tourism Management Perspectives.
- Marais, M., du Plessis, E. and Saayman, M., 2017. Critical success factors of a business tourism destination: Supply-side analysis.Acta Commercii.17(1). pp.1-12.
You may also like to read:Â R/508/0581 European Union Competition Law